Jalapeno en Salsa Verde Recipe
Salsa verde is a traditional mexican green sauce. It can be made with any green chile pepper but using jalapenos provides a nice mix of heat and flavor.
The main difference between salsa verde and traditional salsas is the use of tomatillos instead of tomatoes as the base. The tomatillos provide the green coloring of in the salsa and a tangy, citrus like flavor that complements the jalapenos very well.
Jalapeno Salsa Notes:
While I prefer the added flavor that roasting the ingredients adds you can also make jalapeno en salsa verde
by skipping to step #3 and just adding all the ingredients into the blender.
Letting the jalapeno en salsa verde sit overnight also help the flavors to meld but if you want you can serve the salsa right away.
Jalapeno en Salsa Verde Ingredients
- 6 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 5 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 3 jalapeno peppers, de-stemmed, de-seeded and cut in half
- 1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Canola or vegetable oil
Jalapeno en Salsa Verde Directions
1) Preheat the oven or grill to 400 degrees
2) Put the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers onto a baking sheet, lightly coat in canola oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes until the vegetables start to blacken and are soft. You can also grill the ingredients though you'll lose some of the liquid.
3) Put the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers into a blender and blend until they are smooth.
4) Add the cilantro, honey, and lime juice and pulse several times until combined well.
5) Serve as you would most other salsas. Salsa verde is great with tortilla chips, on tacos or burritos or even as a topping for grilled chicken or shrimp.
Love Chile Peppers?
Come learn about 39 different chile peppers. Some are mild like the Anaheim and some are so hot they are literally being used as weapons. Complete with information about their origin and history, uses, and full-color photographs!
Available on Amazon.com
or as a PDF Download